This program significantly expands upon fundamental TCM approaches to the treatment of sports and orthopedic conditions. This is accomplished by recognizing that TCM differential diagnosis and treatment techniques is not an antiquated medical system but a powerful medicine that continues to grow in it’s evolving application in today’s western world. Participants in this program will develop the skills necessary to: perform an orthopedic evaluation of musculoskeletal injuries, understand the sports medicine biomechanics of orthopedic conditions, generate a TCM diagnosis and treatment plan and implement Sports Medicine Acupuncture approaches to treating a patient’s injury. This program significantly expands upon fundamental TCM approaches to the treatment of orthopedic conditions.
This program does not stack TCM modalities and Western biomedical facts side-by-side with the intention of somehow combining these two paradigms. Rather, it applies TCM principles to Western biomedical facts and uses Western biomedical facts to illustrate TCM principles, thereby truly integrating the salient principles of both medical practices. As a result, the assessment and treatment strategies learned in this program will bring long lasting and successful outcomes.
Upon completion of the program, participants will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Develop expertise in the use of Traditional Chinese Medicine in treating sports and orthopedic conditions.
- The ability to take a thorough history of an orthopedic condition, identify the mechanism of injury and formulate a working assessment of the condition.
- Develop essential diagnostic palpation skills.
- Develop treatment plans and protocols from a TCM and Sports Medicine perspective.
- Apply appropriate Manual Therapy methods and techniques to fascial restrictions that have contributed to musculoskeletal injury and pain.
- Assess postural alignment and understand the significance of postural imbalances that are contributing to musculoskeletal pain.
- Learn how to combine acupuncture point prescriptions and therapeutic postural exercises to change structural alignment disparities that have contributed to musculoskeletal pain. The participant will learn how to effectively balance the human structure with acupuncture, manual therapy and exercise prescription.