Date:08/04/2018 - 08/05/2018
Location:Tri-State College of Oriental Medicine
Assessment and Treatment of Common Neck and Shoulder Injuries
Saturday, August 4 | 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Sign-in at 8:30 AM)
Sunday, August 5 | 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Tri-State College of Oriental Medicine
80 Eighth Avenue (enter on 14th Avenue), New York
- The participant taking this course will understand that the neck and shoulder are observed as one complex and must not be separated in assessment or treatment. Injury to the neck will often involve shoulder symptoms and conversely, shoulder pain frequently stems from the cervical spine.
- Common neck and shoulder injuries that will be discussed include: cervical degeneration, fallen pillow syndrome (luozhen), cervical strain and sprain, muscle tension headaches, rotator cuff and bicipital tendinopathy, as well as common muscle imbalance syndromes that are contributing factors to many neck and shoulder injuries.
- In this workshop, we will examine injuries from a mechanical “how and why” using orthopedic physical evaluations and manual muscle testing to assess the integrity of the musculoskeletal system.
- Innovative treatment protocols will be introduced consisting of needle techniques to the involved motor and acupuncture points to balance the somatic system according to both TCM and western biomedical principles.
- The experience of this workshop will refine the practitioner’s assessment and treatment skills, expanding their knowledge of needle techniques and greatly enhancing their success rate in treating neck and shoulder injuries.
MATT CALLISON, L.Ac.
Matt Callison’s unique ability to blend Chinese Medicine with Sports Medicine for over 25 years is demonstrated by his excellent reputation. This is particularly evident in his educational program, the “Sports Medicine Acupuncture Certification Program,” which is attended by acupuncturists worldwide. He has over 20 years experience in cadaver dissection that has helped him to further broaden and deepen his educational program for the acupuncturist. Mr. Callison has had a clinical practice for over 26 years and is well known for developing innovative and successful treatment protocols for musculoskeletal injury. He has published many articles including a clinical study on acupuncture and tibial stress syndromes (shin splints) as well as an article on Sports Related Muscle Tension Headaches in the Journal of Chinese Medicine. Furthermore, Mr. Callison is well-known for his work with professional athletes. Mr. Callison is the creator of the Motor Point and Acupuncture Meridian Chart as well as the author of three publications—The Motor Point Manual, Motor Point Index and, in press, The Sports Medicine Acupuncture textbook.
Matt Callison earned his Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education/Sports Medicine from San Diego State University in 1985. He worked in the Sports Medicine field at Alvarado Sports Medicine clinic in San Diego and Scripps Hospital in La Jolla, CA for 6 years. In 1991, Mr. Callison received his Master’s Degree in Traditional Oriental Medicine from Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, where the class he developed, “Treatment of Orthopedic Disorders,” is still being taught. Mr. Callison continues to guest lecture in many acupuncture doctoral programs across the United States.
As Clinic Supervisor for Pacific College at the University of California’s San Diego Sports Medicine RIMAC Center, Mr. Callison guides acupuncture interns in providing Sports Medicine Acupuncture to their athletes.
To be eligible to enroll in the Assessment and Treatment of Common Neck and Shoulder Injuries class:
- Participants must be a currently licensed or registered Acupuncturist.
- Participants must provide proof of having graduated from an ACAOM-accredited or equivalent Traditional Chinese Medicine Acupuncture School.
- Participants must either carry malpractice insurance in the state where the class is being held and name AcuSport Education as “additionally insured” to the policy or be added directly to AcuSport Education malpractice insurance policy for a fee of $30.
To enroll in the Assessment and Treatment of Common Neck and Shoulder Injuries class:
- Complete and submit the registration form at the bottom of this page.
- Upon submitting your registration below, you will receive a “Registration Pending” email providing detailed information about how to easily upload required documents to our secure Dropbox folder. Please see the Registration Information section for more info.
P.O. Box 7699
San Diego, CA 92167
|Student Type||Discount||Discount Code||Total Tuition|
|Standard (Credit Card Payment)||0%||None||$495.00|
|Standard (Check Payment)||3.5%||CHECK||$477.70|
|C.SMA Students (This discount is for Certified Sports Medicine Acupuncturists who are repeating any class or program they have previously taken.)||15%||CSMANAS||$420.75|
|Repeat Student* or TSCA Alumni||10%||REPEATNAS||$445.50|
*A Repeat Student is someone who has taken the same class within the last 2 years.
There are a limited number of discounted seats available per class. Please register as soon as possible to take advantage of your discount!
- Malpractice Insurance Coverage
If you do not meet the Malpractice Eligibility requirements of having malpractice coverage in the state of the class listing AcuSport Education as additionally insured (See the Enrollment Requirements section for more information), you can be added to the AcuSport Education malpractice insurance policy for $30. This coverage will be good for one year and will apply to all AcuSport Education classes. Please make sure to select Malpractice Insurance Coverage in the Register section to be added to the policy.
Seminar & Certification Course
Cancellations received greater than 21 days prior to course start date may be eligible to receive a full refund, less a $50 cancellation fee and an 8% transaction fee for credit card payments. All cancellations must be made in writing and emailed to email@example.com. Cancellations made within 21 days prior to course start date are not eligible for a refund. Registrants who choose not to attend the seminar without notice will also not be eligible for a refund.
Refunds will be credited back to the original credit card used for payment or by check if applicable.
Class notes are available for 14 days after the end date of the seminar. Registrant is responsible for all shipping charges.
Participants will not receive credit for any missed sessions and will not receive certificates of completion for partially completed courses.
AcuSport Education Cancellation Terms
AcuSport Education reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment or other circumstances which would make the event non-viable. If AcuSport Education is forced to cancel an event, a full refund of the tuition paid will be granted to the registered student. AcuSport Education will not pay for travel costs incurred due to a cancelled class.
Upon submitting your registration for the Assessment and Treatment of Common Neck and Shoulder Injuries class below, you will receive a “Registration Pending” email providing detailed information about how to easily upload required documents to our secure Dropbox folder. To complete your registration, you must upload the documentation noted below to Dropbox as instructed. Please note that your registration is not compete until all documentation has been received.
The following documents are needed for completion of registration. Please make sure all documents are clear, legible and saved as a JPG, PDF or Word document.
- Copy of current acupuncture license or registration.
- Copy of diploma from an ACAOM-accredited or equivalent Traditional Chinese Medicine acupuncture school from where you graduated.
- Copy of current malpractice insurance showing coverage in the state where the class is being held declaring “AcuSport Education.” as additionally insured. If you do not wish to add AcuSport Education to your policy, or your malpractice insurance is from a state other than where the class is being held, you will need to be added directly to AcuSport’s malpractice insurance policy for a fee of $30.
Please upload all of these documents to our secure AcuSport Education Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/request/nggRKypNziOvmnBnol7E
Follow these four easy steps:
- Click on the link
- Select your documents from where they are stored
- Attach your documents
- Choose Upload
We are here to help! If you have questions about your documentation, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. If you have any issues with Dropbox, please check out this helpful link https://www.dropbox.com/help.
Note: After submitting your registration, if you do not receive a Registration-Pending email from AcuSport Education within 5 minutes, due to increased security, please check your spam folder and add us to your contacts.